MARRIAGE AMENDMENT HJR2: URGENT ACTION ALERT #4
DATE: February 10, 2006
FROM: Idaho Coalition of Home Educators
SUBJECT: Let Us Vote
By a vote of 5 to 4, the Senate State Affairs Committee narrowly approved the Marriage Amendment this morning. The full Senate floor vote is expected on Tuesday. Only if the Marriage Amendment passes the Senate with 24 votes will you, the people of Idaho be able to vote on the issue. And each Senator must stand before you for re-election in May.
The Senate floor vote is where the Marriage Amendment was defeated last year by just three votes. For this to change, every Senator must receive an unprecedented outpouring of messages for the next three days, escalating until the floor vote.
In particular, the eight Republicans who voted against the Marriage Amendment last year must hear from hundreds of their constituents with the message that they expect their Senator to support HJR2. Three Senators must be convinced to change their votes. You trusted them with your vote. Now it is time for them to trust you with theirs. The clear message must be: LET US VOTE.
Those who voted against the amendment last year are:
*Brad Little (R-11), Emmett
*Joe Stegner (R-7), Lewiston
John Andreason (R-15), Boise
Charles Coiner (R-24), Twin Falls
Dick Compton (R-5), Coeur d'Alene
Tom Gannon (R-23), Buhl
John Goedde (R-4), Coeur d'Alene
Gary Schroeder (R-6), Moscow
Mike Burkett (D-19), Boise
Kate Kelly (D-18), Boise
David Langhorst (D-16), Boise
*Edgar Malepeai (D-30), Pocatello
*Clint Stennett (D-25), Ketchum
Elliot Werk (D-17), Boise
*Also voted "no" in the State Affairs Committee today.
IT IS CRITICAL THAT YOU RESPOND NOW AND CONVINCE OTHERS TO DO THE SAME. PLEASE FORWARD THIS ALERT TO THOSE WHO WILL SUPPORT THIS BILL. THIS IS YOUR LAST CHANCE TO MAKE YOUR VOICE HEARD.
FIRST: Hundreds of emails to must be sent this weekend through Monday asking your Senator to "LET US VOTE." Each member of your family should leave a separate message. Follow the email instructions below to write and send your 3 sentence message.
SECOND: Email this alert to everyone in your address book asking your friends to help you defend marriage in Idaho.
THIRD: Starting 8 a.m. Monday morning, begin calling the switchboard at (800) 626-0471, or (208) 332-1000, and have each family member leave a phone message for your Senator in support of HJR2. We must keep a steady stream of calls coming in until the vote on Tuesday.
HOW TO CONTACT YOUR SENATORS: Each member of your family should send both an email AND a telephone message
- Print a copy of this Alert and then follow these instructions.
- By EMAIL:
- Go to http://capwiz.com/hslda/issues/alert/?alertid=8457881 and follow the simple on-screen instructions.
- Copies of your emails will automatically be forwarded to Senator Geddes, the sponsor of the bill, for tally purposes only.
- By TELEPHONE: Call the Legislative switchboard at (208) 332-1000 or toll free at 1-800-626-0471 and leave a single message to be delivered to your Senator, and to Senator Geddes, the bill's sponsor. Tell the operator that you live in the Senator's district, then ask him or her to "Please support Marriage Amendment HJR2 to let the people vote." Do not call your Senator at home.
- By FAX: (208) 334-5397.
All correspondence to your Senator must include your complete address. Please also include your phone number and email address. Fax copies of your message to Senator Geddes, the bill's sponsor for tally purposes. Please follow these guidelines for your message:
- Always be polite and courteous. Thank your Senator for his or her service in the legislature.
- Begin your message with "Dear Senator (Last Name)."
- Limit your message to 3 sentences. Begin your message with, "As your constituent, I urge you to please support Marriage Amendment HJR2 to let the people vote."
- Include one of the following points or one of your own:
- Marriage is foundational to society and deserves a vote of all the people in Idaho.
- The amendment is needed to give marriage the maximum protection from activist judges.
- Same-sex marriage would be an extreme redefinition and departure from traditional marriage.
THANK YOU FOR TAKING THE TIME TO MAKE YOUR VOICE HEARD!
If this message was forwarded to you and you would like to receive future alerts directly, please go to the Idaho Coalition of Home Educators website at www.iche-idaho.org to sign up for our email alert service.
In order to provide the most effective email services, we are using the Home School Legal Defense Association (HSLDA) legislative mail system. In keeping with our commitment to preserve your confidentiality, our address list has not been shared with HSLDA or with any other organization.