MARRIAGE AMENDMENT HJR2: URGENT ACTION ALERT #3
DATE: February 7, 2006
FROM: Idaho Coalition of Home Educators
SUBJECT: The Battle for Three More Votes
By a vote of 53 to 17, the full House of Representatives approved the Marriage Amendment yesterday. That strong showing reflected the surge in pro-amendment messages delivered to your Representatives in the last few days. This and escalating constituent contact will send a powerful message to the Senate in this election year.
The Marriage Amendment has been defeated in the Senate the last two years. This is the battleground where three Senators must be convinced to change their votes while the others hold firm. And all Senators must face their constituents for reelection in May.
Eight Republicans and all Democrats except Bert Marley (D-29), McCammon, voted against the amendment last year. Of the eight Republicans, the first two sit on the Senate State Affairs Committee which will vote on the bill on Friday:
Brad Little (R-11), Emmett
Joe Stegner (R-7), Lewiston
John Andreason (R-15), Boise
Charles Coiner (R-24), Twin Falls
Dick Compton (R-5), Coeur d'Alene
Tom Gannon (R-23), Buhl
John Goedde (R-4), Coeur d'Alene
Gary Schroeder (R-6), Moscow
These eight Senators and all Democrats must receive hundreds of messages by Thursday from constituents urging them to let the people vote. The other Senators must have the same to stand firm and to be persuasive in winning three more supporting votes. But the most powerful voice is yours, the constituent who will vote in May.
The Committee hearing is scheduled for 8:00 a.m. this Friday morning in the Gold Room on the 4th floor of the Capitol rotunda. Please plan to attend the Committee hearing and wear a "Let Us Vote" sticker that will be available. Arrive by 7 a.m. or earlier as seating is limited. The presence of a sea of supporters can be convincing to undecided Senators.
If supporters of traditional marriage fail for the third year in a row, the door may be closed forever. Every election cycle, we lose more pro-marriage votes in the Senate.
It is critical that each Senator receive hundreds of messages by Thursday, escalating to twice that by the floor vote expected early next week. Each member of your family may leave separate messages. Follow the instructions below to write your 3 sentence message. With a single click, your message will automatically go to your Senator. Then call the switchboard and leave a phone message in support. If we fail to meet this challenge, those who voted against last year's marriage amendment may do so again this year.
Marriage Amendment Debate: At 7:00 p.m. on Thursday evening, February 9th, Glen Stanton, of Focus on the Family, and Jack Van Valkenburgh, the executive director of the ACLU of Idaho, will debate the Marriage Amendment at the Boise Centre on the Grove. The debate is jointly sponsored by Cornerstone Institute of Idaho and the ACLU of Idaho. Admission is free. All are encouraged to attend, as our presence there will set the stage for Friday's Committee vote. Plan to arrive 30 to 60 minutes early for seating.
IT IS CRITICAL THAT YOU RESPOND NOW AND CONVINCE 5 MORE PEOPLE TO DO THE SAME. PLEASE FORWARD THIS ALERT TO THOSE WHO WILL SUPPORT THIS BILL.
HOW TO CONTACT YOUR SENATORS: Each member of your family should send both an email AND a telephone message
- Print a copy of this Alert and then follow these instructions.
- By EMAIL:
- Go to http://capwiz.com/hslda/issues/alert/?alertid=8457881 and follow the simple on-screen instructions.
- Copies of your emails will automatically be forwarded to Senator Geddes, the sponsor of the bill, for tally purposes only.
- By TELEPHONE: Call the Legislative switchboard at (208) 332-1000 or toll free at 1-800-626-0471 and leave a single message to be delivered to your Senator, and to Senator Geddes, the bill's sponsor. Tell the operator that you live in the Senator's district, then ask him or her to "Please support Marriage Amendment HJR2 to let the people vote." Do not call your Senator at home.
- By FAX: (208) 334-5397.
All correspondence to your Senator must include your complete address. Please also include your phone number and email address. Fax copies of your message to Senator Geddes, the bill's sponsor for tally purposes. Please follow these guidelines for your message:
- Always be polite and courteous. Thank your Senator for his or her service in the legislature.
- Begin your message with "Dear Senator (Last Name)."
- Limit your message to 3 sentences. Begin your message with, "As your constituent, I urge you to please support Marriage Amendment HJR2 to let the people vote."
- Include one of the following points or one of your own:
- Marriage and family are the basic foundational building blocks of civilization and must not be weakened.
- The amendment is needed to give marriage the maximum protection from activist judges.
- Same-sex marriage would be an extreme redefinition and departure from traditional marriage.
THANK YOU FOR TAKING THE TIME TO MAKE YOUR VOICE HEARD!
If this message was forwarded to you and you would like to receive future alerts directly, please go to the Idaho Coalition of Home Educators website at www.iche-idaho.org to sign up for our email alert service.
In order to provide the most effective email services, we are using the Home School Legal Defense Association (HSLDA) legislative mail system. In keeping with our commitment to preserve your confidentiality, our address list has not been shared with HSLDA or with any other organization.