MARRIAGE AMENDMENT: URGENT ACTION ALERT #2
FROM: Idaho Coalition of Home Educators
SUBJECT: ONE DOWN, THREE TO GO
By a vote of 13 to 4, the House State Affairs Committee approved the Marriage Amendment. That is the good news.
While it might be tempting to believe that we now have some momentum on this issue, that would be a serious mistake. In order to win this war, we must win three more battles. If we lose any of those three battles, the war will be over and those wishing to defend traditional marriage will have lost. Each battle from this point forward promises to be more pitched.
Instead of resting on our laurels, now is the time to be faithful in letting our Representatives know how strongly we support the Marriage Amendment. If we fail to do so, we will not have another chance this year. If we fail again on this third try, the door will be closed for future efforts and possibly forever.
Each Representative must receive hundreds of messages by Monday. The stronger the support in the House, the more likely it will pass in the Senate.
Your voice needs to respond by Monday. In the committee hearing, those who testified in opposition out numbered those who spoke in favor of the bill. Some legislators have still received more calls opposing the Marriage Amendment than calls supporting it. Opposition to this bill is well-funded, well-organized, and responsive. Our response must overcome that opposition.
RESPOND NOW AND FORWARD THIS ALERT TO THOSE WHO WILL SUPPORT THIS BILL.
HOW TO CONTACT YOUR REPRESENTATIVES:
Each member of your family should send both an email AND a telephone message
- Print a copy of this Alert and then follow these instructions.
- By EMAIL:
- Go to http://capwiz.com/hslda/issues/alert/?alertid=8421571&type=ST and follow the on-screen instructions.
- Copies of your emails will automatically be forwarded to Representative Denney, the sponsor of the bill, for tally purposes only.
- By TELEPHONE: Call the Legislative switchboard at (208) 332-1000 or toll free at 1-800-626-0471 and leave a single message to be delivered to your two Representatives, and to Representative Denney, the bill's sponsor. Tell the operator that you live in the Representatives' district, then ask them to "Please vote for Marriage Amendment HJR2." Do not call your Representatives at home.
- By FAX: (208) 334-5397.
All correspondence to your Representatives must include your complete address.
Please also include your phone number and email address. Fax copies of your messages to Representative Denney, the bill's sponsor for tally purposes.
Please follow these guidelines for your message:
- Always be polite and courteous. Thank your Representative for his or her service in the House.
- Begin your message with "Dear Representative (Last Name)."
- Limit your message to 3 sentences. Begin your message with, "As your constituent, I urge you to please vote for Marriage Amendment HJR2."
- Include one of the following points or one of your own:
- Please let us vote on this issue.
- Marriage and family are the basic foundational building blocks of civilization and must not be weakened.
- The amendment is needed to give marriage the maximum protection from activist judges.
- Same-sex marriage would be an extreme redefinition and departure from traditional marriage.
THANK YOU FOR TAKING THE TIME TO MAKE YOUR VOICE HEARD!
If this message was forwarded to you and you would like to receive future alerts directly, please go to the ICHE website at www.iche-idaho.org to sign up for our email alert service under "Join ICHE."
In order to provide the most effective email services, we are using the Home School Legal Defense Association (HSLDA) legislative mail system. In keeping with our commitment to preserve your confidentiality, our address list has not been shared with HSLDA or any other organization.